Sunday 30 August 2020

I Fear For The Country

I fear for the country in which I was raised. 
I fear for my friends and relatives there. 
In government and press the dark actors scare
And fools and con men are being praised.

I fear for the country in which I was born.
I fear that Britons forever will be slaves,
Manipulated into digging the graves
Of conscience and listening, on which they heap scorn.

I fear for the country which gave me life.
I fear that its arrogance and lack of remorse
Will blow its future so wildly off course
That division and violence will surely be rife.

I fear for the country from whence I came.
I fear its delusions about having clout
And the unwise language being bandied about.
One day we will suffer from having no shame. 
 
© Geoff Davis 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment